courtesy of: U.S.
Construction : Conical dressed granite
Location : 44 Miles North of Marquette, MI
: 102 feet
44 Miles North of Marquette. Not recommended venturing out,
endless you know the Lake and how she behaves.
Captain by the name of Charles C. Stannard sailed the first American
made ship along the still new trade routes in Lake Superior. He was also
the first to see this huge rock lurking just under the surface. Literally
out in the middle of nowhere, the waters in this area change from 550
the 4 feet, with a average depth of 16 feet in a quarter mile area around
the light. This was a very dangerous area for ships. Before the light was
constructed, many crews referred
to this shoal as the "Sailors Graveyard". With the opening of the Soo Locks, a Day Beacon or iron
structure with no light was placed here. Construction of the current
lighthouse started in 1877,
taking 5 years to complete. The lighthouse was then named after Captain
Charles C. Stannard.
venturing out into Lake Superior should not take her lightly, as a maintenance
crew was reminded one November. A crew of 12 men that had been working
on the light for two weeks, nearing the completion of their work, things
turned for the worse. A storm blew up quickly as they often do,
trapping the men in the light. The storm blew on for day's as ice built up around them. The spray
the light as gale force winds blew sheets of ice that piled up against
her. As the Lake finally settled 7 days later, the men found themselves
trapped in 12 feet of ice. Already running low on food, they spent the
next two days chopping through the ice. Now out of there prison, they were
in no position to wait for the lighthouse tender. They jumped into the
small lighthouse boat and ventured across the dangerous ice flows,
finally making it back to shore safely.